Accumulation of mold in your home can be a huge problem. Nothing worse can affect a home than mold accumulation. It's a furry enemy that you would want to be far away from. Mold can have severe repercussions on your health. Therefore, if you detect any mold in your house, you should treat it immediately and stop it from spreading further. The worst thing about any kind of mold is that it can grow anywhere, and you cannot do anything to control its spread.
If you are new to molds and are looking for easy solutions to get rid of them, this guide is for you. This guide will help you with everything you need to know about getting rid of accumulated mold in your home.
Causes of mold
Before we get into the process of getting rid of accumulated mold, let’s understand what causes mold accumulation in the first place. Moisture is the only cause of mold. Oxygen and temperature can add to the cause, but moisture remains the primary reason. Mold tends to grow in humid weather. Some other factors can contribute to the growth of mold. These include:
In places where the climate is generally humid, mold growth accelerates. You can try keeping the home ventilated, but it’s impossible not to have mold if there is humidity.
If your room or house is not adequately ventilated, the air gets trapped inside it. Hence, the stagnant air can become a significant cause of mold accumulation. You must keep the doors and windows of your house open. Even the use of exhaust fans enables.
A leaky air conditioner can cause more problems than you think. A mold can form in the area from where water drips. This mold is whitish and can be found beneath the air conditioner.
Basements are wet areas as homeowners often neglect them. Also, these areas do not get proper ventilation. Therefore, the dark and moist condition attracts and supports mold growth.
If your home gets flooded due to some reason, it will leave your home wrapped in mold.
It takes quite a while for the house to dry up, and that duration is enough for mold to flourish.
If you pile up all your freshly washed clothes, it can be a new site for mold accumulation. Therefore, you should try to keep a constant check on your laundry.
Leaky pipes or a leaky ceiling can accelerate the growth of molds in your home. You can easily find mold accumulated beneath your sink or stuck to the water pipes. Slow leaks are ideal for the growth of molds as they can go unnoticed.
Moisture is the primary reason for the growth of molds. Hence, if your house is facing drainage issues, you should get it fixed immediately.
All these causes are directly or indirectly related to moisture. Hence, moisture control becomes essential when dealing with mold in your house.
Identifying the accumulation of mold is essential so that you can limit your exposure to it. Mold can seriously affect your health, worsening in children and senior citizens. If you are uncertain about identifying mold, you should immediately contact professionals well equipped to identify and treat it.
They will help you understand the mold that has impacted your house and suggest a further course of action. Mold accumulation can cause severe allergies, irritation, sore throat, etc. Mold can also cause lung infections and several other respiratory conditions. In some cases, it can cause chronic diseases like kidney and heart damage.
There are different types of molds out there. While not all of them are harmful, they can be a problem for your home. Each type has different growth patterns and can exist in small or large groups. When it comes to appearance, mold can look fuzzy or live like a dirt stain. Molds can be of different colors like green, yellow, white, etc. If you are confused about dirt particles being mold, you can add some diluted bleach to it. If the substance reappears, it is likely to be mold.
Types of Molds
As discussed earlier, there are hundreds of types of molds out there. However, harmful mold is categorized into three types:
These molds cause different kinds of allergies and skin infections. In some cases, they can even cause asthma attacks.
The particle of pathogenic mold tends to float in the air. People who have any acute illness are affected by them.
This mold category is the most harmful as it generates toxic chemicals released into the air. These substances can cause deadly diseases in humans.
Getting Rid of Mold
Now that you can identify mold’s presence let’s understand how to eliminate it. The best way to treat this is to get in touch with professionals who have experience working with molds. However, if you decide to handle the situation yourself, you must take some necessary precautions before beginning the process.
Before beginning the mold treatment, you must procure the appropriate tools and gear. Additionally, it would help if you bought a good respirator mask that prevents your mouth and nostril from toxins that might be released during the process. It would help if you also protect your eyes. You can buy appropriate glasses to wear throughout the treatment.
It will help if you don't touch mold with your bare hands. Use a pair of rubber gloves to do so. Also, while you are treating the mold, try to ensure proper ventilation in the room. You can open all the doors and windows before the treatment. The chemicals used in the process are abrasive; hence, a wave of fresh air will keep you in check.
There are different kinds of cleaning agents available in the market. You can choose what’s best for your home based on the type of mold that has affected your house. Some of the popular cleaning agents to treat mold are:
Chlorine bleach is the basic household bleach found in almost all homes. This solution can be pretty effective in dealing with mold. However, you should avoid using a concentrated solution to treat the mold. You should avoid mixing the bleach with ammonia as it can leave permanent stains on the wall.
Hydrogen Peroxide solution
This is another chemical commonly found in homes. It is extensively used in cleaning wounds. It is a lighter solution than chlorine bleach, but it can still help you eliminate the mold.
The best thing about using the solution is treating the spots. However, Hydrogen Peroxide works slowly. Therefore, you need to have some patience while using it.
You can use pure white vinegar to treat mold. They help in breaking down the mold, which kills it. However, vinegar does not work that well with stains. Therefore, you will have to put additional effort into cleaning the mold-treated wall.
If you want to stop mold growth before getting rid of it, you can use baking soda.
The high pH value prevents the mold from growing any further.
Getting Rid of Tough Mold
If your house is affected by a rigid mold like black mold, you must take additional steps to treat it. Black mold can cause severe respiratory issues, and you should eliminate it as soon as it is detected. You can find them in bathroom corners and cabinets. The mold is slimy, and the color is primarily black or green.
Once you discover the presence of black mold in your home, you should get in touch with professionals who can aid you with the mold removal process.
Removing Mold on Walls
- Walls are the most affected area by mold. If mold accumulates on your wall, it can cause some severe structural damage to your home. You should immediately contact a mold professional to help you assess the damage level. However, you can treat it yourself, too, if you have all the necessary tools.
- You should put on your respirator mask and other protective gear and follow the steps listed below:
- Take a part of bleach and three parts of water and mix it well. Alternatively, you can also spray hydrogen peroxide on the affected wall.
- Now that you have the solution ready, you can use a sponge or a mop to apply the solution to the wall. However, ensure that you don’t over-apply the solution.
- Try opening all the windows and the doors to ensure proper ventilation and let the wall dry.
- However, if your wall is covered with wallpaper, you can use essential oil to remove the mold and protect your wallpaper from any damage. You can use a soft bristle brush to apply the solution as it will protect the wallpaper from soaking in.
- Even distilled white vinegar can work wonders on your mold-affected wall. You must try to find the mold source before beginning the treatment.
Mold can affect different parts of your house. They can accumulate on wooden surfaces, walls, bathrooms, etc. Getting rid of mold as soon as you discover it is essential. Mold exposure can cause serious health issues. Therefore, clean the surfaces thoroughly and let them dry. However, contact experts immediately if the situation is beyond your control